- April 26th, 2016
- in Messages from the President
In case you were not able to attend today’s Faculty/Staff meeting, I want to share the gist of my remarks. Today, we are pleased to announce the four pillars of the University’s new strategic plan.
These four pillars, or goals, are as follows:
- To provide a premier undergraduate and graduate education that offers a global perspective and is characterized by outstanding teaching, high-quality scholarship and distinctive curricular and co-curricular programs.
- To increase the University’s productivity and innovation in research, scholarship and creative activities that impact socio-economic development.
- To enrich the learning and work environment by providing an accepting, inclusive community that attracts and supports a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
- To provide opportunities and resources that promote work-life balance and enhance the recruitment and retention of outstanding faculty and staff.
The University’s mission and vision will remain the same, but how we achieve that mission and vision will change as it is captured through the goals of our faculty, students and staff. These goals will move us in the direction of where we aspire to be.
Many voices were heard throughout our strategic planning process. We received input from students, faculty, staff, alumni, parents, retirees and community members. This is everyone’s plan. We are all the University, and we are grateful for the valuable ideas and insights that all of these groups and individuals provided to us.
In particular, I want to thank our Strategic Planning Council, which has been led by Interim Provost Kevin Whitaker. They have been working since December.
|Milla Boschung||Dean||Human Environmental Sciences|
|Jennifer Clark||Past-president||Professional Staff Assembly|
|Lynda Gilbert||Vice President||Financial Affairs and
Treasurer for The University of Alabama
|Todd Hester||Past-president||Office, Clerical, & Technical Staff Assembly|
|Peter Hlebowitsh||Dean||College of Education|
|Burcu Keskin||Assoc. Professor||Information Systems, Statistics, and Management
|Michael Kreger||Professor||Civil, Construction, & Environmental Engineering|
|Donna Meester||President||Faculty Senate|
|Rosalind Moore||Director||Undergraduate & Graduate Student Involvement|
|Carl Pinkert||Vice President||Research and Economic Development|
|Samory Pruitt||Vice President||Community Affairs|
|Marie Robbins||Assoc. Athletics Dir.||Intercollegiate Athletics|
|Elliot Spillers||Past-president||Student Government Association|
I hope you’ll join me in thanking them for their dedication and the countless hours they have spent on this important endeavor. Their work will now center on the next phase, which is discussing the objectives for each pillar before we roll out the full plan this fall.
We have much more work to do in the coming months, but we are well on our way. Thank you for your participation, and Roll Tide!
Stuart R. Bell